Law Order & Justice - YLM
What is YLM?
Yumi Lukautim Mosbi is an ongoing crime prevention and urban safety initiative housed within the NCDC and sponsored by AusAID and GoPNG. It is an action model of Vision 2050 and is evidenced by the impact it has with all sectors of PNG society, from grass roots to international corporate investors
YLM is a mindset and a methodology, which is much more than a prescribed set of activities and as such it is quite broad. In brief this concept brings stakeholders across all sectors of PNG society together as participants and team players in jointly solving urban safety and crime prevention issues which affect them; this fosters partnerships, ensures relevance activates effective implementation and enhances sustainability.
Therefore YLM can best be explained in context of the sectors it works across... • To the corporate world YLM is a portal through which they can focus a sharper more effective corporate responsibility to community as evidence by the provision of Meri SEIF Ples’s (women safe zones) in busy shopping centres, safe & cost effective accommodation for working class women, crisis centres for women and a free 24 / 7 call centre for responses to family & sexual violence and evacuations nationwide.
- To Port Moresby Chamber of Commerce & Industry businesses YLM is an innovative job creation scheme with a never-ending supply of motivated and semi-skilled grass roots resource never correctly tapped before. In 2010 alone over 660 YLM youth who supported ‘Krismas SEIF Kempan’ wearing ‘Gun Free Zone’ T shirts and Bus Stop Safety Wardens wearing the purple Meri SEIF Ples T shirts gained permanent employment in the NCD with over 68 associated businesses, and over 800 grass roots people trained for self employment in the informal sector
- To formal sector workers YLM is grass roots youth doing neighborhood watch and Bus Stop Safety Wardens in their highly distinctive purple ‘Meri SEIF Ples’ T shirts making their travel to and from work much safer
- To community leaders YLM keeps the “street” youth occupied with community-fist initiatives such Krismas SEIF Kempan and Bus Stop Safety Wardens, and makes the settlements feel much more cohesive and safer
- To the Law and Justice Sector where YLM originates, YLM is an effective crime prevention and an urban safety intervention which does in fact reduce opportunistic crime and offers a better quality of life and sustainable options to crime
- To Government agencies and senior authorities YLM is an effective intervention to foster Public Private sector Partnerships in particular to engage marginalized youth in lawful activities culminating in job creation, poverty reduction and the enhancement of community harmony
- To International and National NGO’s and FBO’s YLM is a network which greatly enhances their capabilities and expedites performance at community level where it all counts. Some of our partners include Port Moresby Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Ginigoada Bisnis Foundation, UNIFEM, Digicel Foundation, Boroko Rotary, Soroptimist International, Asia Foundation and now Oxfam
- To grass roots youths and women at risk or in crisis YLM means the difference of day-to-day living from crime or risky practices or having a safer and lawful future with pride and hope. The community pride cry of ‘Yumi lukautim MOSBI’ is well known throughout PNG and the Pacific
- To internationally recognised experts in the field of urban youth in the South Pacific region, YLM is officially regarded as the best cutting edge intervention of its type anywhere in the world and has been awarded the coveted UN HABITAT Certificate ‘recognition of excellence in urban safety crime prevention and youth’ in Durban South Africa July 2008
- To national audiences who watch the ‘The YLM Report’ national television program or who have access to the YLM website, YLM is a marvelous intervention which has relevance to their community aspirations and needs and is activity that is easily replicated.
- To international audiences of the television program and website YLM is in fact a new and refreshing perspective of Papua New Guinea that they did not know existed. The YLM television series is the very first PNG produced television series in history to be aired as a regular weekly program to international audiences.
This is all evidenced on the website www.yumilukautimmosbi.org.pg
5t - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi Logo
K1.05 - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi - 'Krismas SEIF Kempan'
K5.00 - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi - 'Meri SEIF Ples'
K7.00 - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi - Certificate of Recognition by UN-Habitat
RETAIL PRICE K14.10
K1.05 - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi - Immediate Shelter for Women & Children in Crisis
K1.05 - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi - Krismas SEIF Kempan members
K5.00 - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi - 'Meri SEIF Ples'
K7.00 - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi - Innovative Job Creation
RETAIL PRICE K13.10
K10.00 - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi - Yumi Lukautim Mosbi Logo